Supervisees benefit when a variety of supervisory methods are used. The following suggestions can spur your creativity for ways to provide effective feedback.
Creative ways to use video and audio tapes
- Run the video in fast-forward to convey a heightened image of the counselors and clients body movements
- On a video, turn down the audio to try to fill in what is being said on the basis of nonverbals
- On a video, cover the counselor and observe the client to guess what the counselor is doing and vice versa.
- On a video, focus on the counselor’s nonverbals
- While reviewing the audio or video tape prior to supervision, the supervisor can do a voiceover, inserting questions for the supervisee onto the tape.
- Review the tape and stop after a client statement. Ask the counselor to respond.
Co-facilitation and live observation via closed-circuit video and one-way mirror supervision provide the ability to observe in real-time. They are time consuming, but less obtrusive than observing by sitting in the session or co-facilitating.
Case presentations are useful in groups and individual supervision. Should be built around problems and solution-oriented questions to be answered, and should move from client information to dynamics, prognosis, and treatment plan. Case presentations allow the supervisor to observe the counselor's actions, determine their impact on the client, assess the counselor's clinical reasoning process, and help the counselor improve treatment delivery
Role playing is an alternative to observing the clinician in an actual counseling session. It is ideal for practicing skills, and an opportunity to learn-by-doing in a safe environment where they can receive helpful feedback
Process recording provides a written account of everything that was said and done in session. It is only from supervisee point of view which can result in intentional and unintentional errors and omissions. To improve accuracy, it can be used with video to compare salient points.
Counseling CEU video
View the Counseling CEU course for this presentation.
This course is also included in our unlimited CEU packages.